POSITION TITLE: Nurse Manager
DEPARTMENT: Medical Administration
REPORT TO: (TITLE) Executive Director, Assistant Director in E.D.’s absence
Position function and scope (required skill, education and experience);
The function and scope of this position covers a wide range of nursing, patient care and unit management functions including patient assessment, limit setting, crisis intervention, medication administration, treatment planning, transcript of physician orders, collections of specimens and supervision of staff through continuous availability, teaching, performance evaluation, progressive discipline as well as establishing nursing policies and procedures. These assigned duties are performed in a manner consistent with accepted standards of practice set by the ANA and in compliance with the NC Board of Nursing. Duties require confidentiality, ability to communicate both internally and within the community, management knowledge and skills.
Typical qualifications and experience for this position include:
* Graduation from an accredited school of nursing.
* Unrestricted RN license by the NC Board of Nursing.
* Possession of strong verbal and social skills.
* Management skills.
* Knowledge of psychiatric disorders.
Principal accountabilities (position summary.)
* Responsible for entire operation of detoxification nursing unit.
* Screens proposed referrals for admission according to admission criteria and ARCA policies and procedures, when necessary.
* Conducts nursing assessments, performs clinical withdrawal scales, administers medication per physician orders, collects specimens, measures vital signs, transcribes physician orders, develops and implements treatment plans, sets therapeutic limits for clients, monitors withdrawal symptoms, documents in patient record and provides medication education.
* Is continuously available during assigned timeframe.
* Schedule staff and validate timesheets.
* Obtains or provides substitute staffing on an emergency basis, if needed.
* Monitors the quality of patient care via satisfaction surveys, client grievances, etc.
* Validates the competencies of and supervises all licensed and unlicensed support personnel to whom nursing care is delegated.
* Conducts performance evaluation on personnel under supervision.
* Establishes and enforces nursing policies and procedures.
* Oversees infection control and safety activities and assures adequate medication and patient care supplies.
* Implements disciplinary or corrective actions as necessary to assure the continued delivery of safe nursing care.
* Oversees CNAs and Health Care Techs in doing patient belongings inventories, on admission, storage of personal items, room cleaning at patient discharge, therapeutic chores, patient orientation and nursing desk/telephone activities.
* Reports weekly to Executive Director and/or Assistant Director.
* Chart review – Checks all client charts following discharge for compliance prior to sending charts to Medical Records.
* Competent in areas that reflect specific needs of the person served
* Competent in clinical skills
* Competent in treatment person-centered plan development
* Competent in interviewing skills
* Competent in program related research-based treatment approaches
* Oversee the orientation to treatment program of all nursing personnel.